Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A bit of introduction to ME

INTP and Architect -- two ways to look at me.
It has become more and more apparent that my approach to life is WAY different. I'm going to claim that it is my temperament. In the "Myers Briggs Type Indicator," I am an INTP -- an Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking Perceiver. Keirsey's term in the "Keirsey Temperament Sorter II" is "Architect" -- a subset of Rational Engineers.Both approaches break the populace into 16 groups.
We would expect each group to describe about 6.25 percent of the population. But it doesn't work that way. Estimates on the percentage of INTP's range from 1 to 4 percent. Isn't that a good enough reason to feel alone and isolated? Fewer than 1 in 20 people view life in approximately the ways I do. And it could be as few as 1 in 100. Not that it bothers me very often since I KNOW that I'm looking at things the way everybody ought to see them. Self esteem is not a problem here.
One way I like to process information is to write it down and look at it. So here are some musings on being INTP. According to information on the Wayne State College website, INTP's . . . "[ignore] existing rules and opinions and defin[e] their own approach[es]." And while this seems the absolutely right way to me, you can understand that it does get me in trouble with others who've forgotten that the first rule is to "question all assumptions."
"They hate to work on routine things." So true. Rote is NOT my friend.In fact, once I've figured out how I'd solve whatever, I'm done.
"INTPs lack follow-through" preferring to "leave the implementation of the system to others." Or as they say: "a propensity for abandoning a project, once it has been figured out, and moving on to the next thing."
"INTPs tend to . . . overdo simple issues." Actually, the Wayne State terms were "nit-pick and hair-split." But I do have a fondness for going back over a thing to make sure that we've covered it thoroughly. Going back over a problem is much more fun than actually doing anything about it.
And if you think I'm being "impatient, sarcastic, and critical," it's probably because I'm questioning your competence. I like the positive spin I see in several online articles, but I'm not sure all that positive stuff is actually justified. Us INTP folks tend to have very high expectations (and that includes self-expectations). Enough for today.
For more on this see: www.wsc.edu/advising_services/career_planning/personality_careers/intp/

No comments: