Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Stories, etc.

I have a number of stories about people on my website: Telling YOUR Story.

Be sure to check out: "Real People" and "More Real People." These are actually portions of eulogies I've delivered when speaking at funerals. The site also includes "How to Write a Eulogy" in case you'd like a bit of guidance in that area.

Here's one of the stories:

Joy had a great deal to be thankful for. Her life was rich in the love of family and friends. I’ve been impressed by her son and daughter-in-law. Almost any afternoon at 4:30 or 5, I could find them visiting Joy at the nursing home. They took good care of her. I’m sure that many of the residents envied her for the love she received from family.

But Joy had also known plenty of sadness and pain. She had been a widow for almost 30 years. Her daughter preceded her in death. She’d had many surgical procedures and arthritis had crippled her so severely that she could no longer feed herself. In all this she had learned to be content. She always had a smile on her face – a BRIGHT smile at that.

I know that many of the nursing home residents complained about having to move to the new home. But I watched Joy go through all the rooms till she found one with twice as much closet space. That’s the one she claimed as her own.There are many in this town who aren’t nearly as crippled physically as Joy was, but are far more troubled. Joy didn’t allow her limitations to make her an invalid.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

cubes

ulogtwo said...

WOW! Afraid I could never compete with those folks. Thanks for sharing, Matthew.

I've deleted an earlier blog that was titled "Speaking Ex Cubicula" about life in a cubicle. I do inhabit a cube during work hours.